The best gear for your Guard Captain is one of the most frequently asked questions in Iron Throne. The answer, however, is not so easy to discern. Because of this, we have done a great deal of testing using various sets (and levels) of Guard Captain Defense Gear. This article is intended to go hand in hand with our Defending Your Castle article, and will help you decide which defense gear YOU should be using in Iron Throne.
Trap Account Gear
At this point, we have run across a vast array of gear setups on Guard Captains. Most players will have a VERY hard time defending against the largest, most researched accounts in Iron Throne – setting your Guard Captain up correctly is one of the most important ways that you can ensure you don’t wind up as a Battle Report that gets shared on Line hundreds of times. Your gear will go a long way towards setting up your trap account (or filler account that doesn’t want to get zeroed…) but it is still VITALLY important that you do the proper research and build the proper troops in order to truly hold up against massive attacks.
We performed the following tests in this round of Iron Throne defense gear testing :
For every test, the setup was as follows –
- Attacker : The attacker was maxed Battle and Troop Training, with Level 15 Crafting Set Bonus and full Level 15 Destroyer (Archer) gear.
- Defender : The defender was level 10 Troop Training, with Level 15 Tier 2 Battle and VERY LITTLE Set Bonus research.
- Troops : For this test, we sent smaller portions of troops to tiles in the same PROPORTIONS as if the Defender had 5,000,000 T5 Troops and 100,000,000 T2 Troops. The attacker was sending simulated 1,400,000 T6 Archers. The numbers that we used for the tiles ensured we would receive very similar results to what we would get if the attacker were SOLOING the base using a maxed T6 Archer march.
PLEASE NOTE : The defending account was VERY RESEARCHED. This means that you cannot expect to replicate results EXACTLY like these without doing a lot of research. This guide is just intended to help you choose which gear (and setup) to use.
Trap Account Gear Tested
- Maxed Conqueror Gear : Maxed conqueror gear with all Infantry troops against an incoming T6 Archer march.
- Upgraded Dark Lord Gear : Level 9 (total) Dark Lord Gear with 100,000,000 T2 Siege and 5,000,000 T5 Infantry against an incoming T6 Archer march.
- Level 10+ Guardian Gear : High level Guardian Gear with 100,000,000 T2 Siege and 5,000,000 T5 Infantry against an incoming T6 Archer march.
- Level 10+ Guardian Gear, Dark Lord Accessory : High Level Guardian Gear with ONE DARK LORD Accessory with 100,000,000 T2 Siege and 5,000,000 T5 Infantry against an incoming T6 Archer march.
- Level 10+ Destroyer Gear : Mid-high Level Destroyer Gear with all Archer troops against an incoming T6 Archer march.
- Level 10+ Dominator Gear : Mid-high Level Dominator Gear with all Cavalry troops against an incoming T6 Archer march.
- Level 9 Conqueror Gear : Mid-high Level Conqueror gear with all Infantry troops against an incoming T6 Archer march.
At this point, some variation of these gear sets is what nearly every account is running in Iron Throne for their Guard Captain gear. The following tests will show which of these setups works the best.
Guard Captain Conqueror Gear – Infantry Type Trap
For this hit, we used Maxed Conqueror Gear on the Guard Captain. We simulated a stack of 100,000,000 T2 Infantry and 5,000,000 T5 Infantry against maxed T6 Archers.
For this hit, using MAXED Conqueror with ONLY Infantry Troops, the attacker killed a (simulated) 9,300,000 T2 Infantry. This hit is what would be considered “worst case scenario” if you’re running a single-type Infantry trap. Because of that, this hit isn’t that terrible – it definitely hurt the attacker worse than the defender.
Guard Captain Dark Lord Gear – Siege Trap
This is the setup that we have been running for a while now, and that a lot of people have adopted. We simulated a stack of 100,000,000 T2 Siege and 5,000,000 T5 Infantry. For this test, we were running full Immortal (with some upgrades) Dark Lord, so please keep in mind that a lower set of Dark Lord will not perform like this. That said, you can usually make up that difference with additional troop count.
Note : The defender never boosted for any hits, so it will be easier for lower level Dark Lord to achieve these stat levels if boosted.
Using high level Dark Lord with a very large amount of troops, the attacker killed a (simulated) 3,160,000 T2 siege. This would be VERY close to capping in a real run. This is the best way to hedge your bets and defend against all THREE types of incoming – but the troop count needed is very high.
Guard Captain Guardian Gear – Siege Trap
This is also a very common setup as Guardian is much easier to obtain than Dark Lord. We again ran 100,000,000 T2 Siege and 5,000,000 T5 Infantry. Then, we removed one Guardian accessory and replaced with Dark Lord for the added Troop Defense / Troop HP.
As you can see, the Guardian setup with one Dark Lord accessory outperformed the FULL Guardian Defense Gear by a good amount. This is the second most viable option for players that want to defend successfully against ALL THREE troop types and cannot obtain lots of Dark Lord. Focus on crafting the accessory first and adding it to your Guardian, then work on the rest of your Dark Lord.
Guard Captain Destroyer Gear – Archer Type Trap
After performing the Siege tests, we then wanted to see how the various sets did when hit with the SAME type of troop that you are stacking. For this test, we simulated a Guard Captain wearing ARCHER GEAR with a stack of 100,000,000 T2 Archer and 5,000,000 T5 Archers. The attacker hit with 1,400,000 T6 Archers.
This test performed BETTER than any of the Siege stack tests and resulted in capping the enemy hero. This archer gear is not fully maxed – it averages level 12 across the board. This is obviously a very viable setup, but you are playing a bit of paper rock scissors with it.
Guard Captain Dominator Gear – Cavalry Type Trap
For this test, we used nearly equivalent Dominator gear with a stack of 100,000,000 T2 Cavalry and 5,000,000 T5 Cavalry. The attacker sent 1,400,000 T6 Archers, which means they sent the BEST POSSIBLE type for this trap setup.
This test resulted in the LEAST troops lost from any of our tests. This is the height of single type trapping, and is what any single type trap hopes for – winning paper rock scissors.
Guard Captain Conqueror Gear – Infantry Type Trap
After showing what a MAXED infantry set would look like, we dropped the Infantry gear level quite a bit. Using the same account, we dropped our Infantry gear down to an average level of 9 to attempt to see a more “realistic” trap setup and results. Again, we ran with 100,000,000 T2 Infantry and 5,000,000 T5 Infantry against 1,400,000 T6 Archers.
This test, obviously, resulted in our worst hit by far. This shows that if you are running a single type trap, you can expect to lose approximately 3.5x as many troops as a “traditional Siege Stack” if the attacker wins Paper Rock Scissors. However, if they send same type or weak type you will decimate them.
Best Defense Gear Summary
These tests showed exactly what we were hoping to learn – there are many viable setups for your Guard Captain gear, and all of them will work. If you are lower on research, lower on troop count, or lower on Gear level a single type trap is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to run due to Troop Leverage. Do not build 100,000,000 T2 of a single type unless you’re positive your gear can hold up for it. This is a very large investment to make and then learn that it will not work – TILE TEST BEFORE DROPPING SHIELD.
From best to worst, this is how well each hit stood up against the incoming type :
- Single Type Gear – Attacker sends YOUR strong against (Infantry type gear and attacker sends Cav, etc).
- Single Type Gear – Attacker sends the same type troops as your setup.
- Dark Lord Gear – Siege Stack – This is the BEST WAY TO DEFEND AGAINST ALL THREE TYPES and not rely on paper rock scissors.
- Guardian Gear with Dark Lord Accessory – Siege Stack – The second best way to defend against all three types and remove the attacker’s leverage.
- Full Guardian Gear – Siege Stack – Weaker than the Dark Lord Accessory, but still passable if you have enough research and high enough troop count.
- Single Type Gear – Attacker sends YOUR weak against. This is the worst possible scenario for a single type trap, and if it happens you need to ensure that you have enough research to stand up to it. If your gear is high enough level you will not be decimated, but it will not feel good.
Stay tuned for a video showing this testing and explaining it in further detail, and don’t forget to apply this to our Defending Your Castle article!